25 Things to do in Old Town Alexandria
Old Town is perfect for a quick getaway as I recently discovered during a weekend trip to celebrate my anniversary. Located minutes from Washington DC it feels worlds away with its independent nature inspiring the creative spirits behind the art galleries, boutiques and chef-driven restaurants that call Old Town home. Whether your looking to explore Alexandria’s revolutionary roots with your family or taking a romantic trip with your sweetheart you’re sure to love your time in this charming riverside city.
1.Take a stroll through Old Town’s cobblestone streets admiring the 18th and 19th century architecture.
2. Explore Civil War era medicine at the Stabler-Leadbeater Apothecary Museum.
3.Rent a bike from DC Bike and Roll and explore the Mount Vernon Trail
4.Visit what some consider to be the birthplace of the American Revolution at the Carlyle House.
5. Get a good night’s sleep in style at the Hotel Monaco Alexandria.
6.Sip a perfectly crafted cocktail created by Todd Thrasher at PX, a modern upscale speakeasy.
7.Interact with artists as they create their masterpieces at the Torpedo Factory Art Center.
8.Peruse unique home decor and gifts at St. George’s Gallery, featuring fine handcrafted Ethiopian textiles, furniture and art.
9.Take in a show at the beautifully restored historic Old Town Theater.
10. Get a bit of history along with a taste of Alexandria on a tour from DC Metro Food Tours.
11.Indulge in a pair of designer kicks from Shoe Hive.
12.Start you Saturday morning like a local by picking up some farm fresh produce at the Old Town Farmer’s Market.
13.Hear about haunted tales and folklore on a nighttime ghost tour with Alexandria Colonial Tours.
14. Take President and Mrs. Obama’s lead and enjoy a romantic date night at Vermilion.
15. Enjoy a craft beer tour at Port City Brewing Company.
16. Explore Alexandria’s rich African-American heritage at the Alexandria Black History Museum.
17.Unleash your inner Picasso with a class at The Art League School.
18. Tour and eat at the Gadsby’s Tavern, a restored 18th century tavern that has hosted George Washington and Thomas Jefferson.
19.Pamper yourself at the serenely luxurious Hotel Lorien and Spa.
20.Indulge in the fabulous 7- course chef’s tasting menu at the acclaimed Restaurant Eve.
21. Find the perfect gift for your four-legged canine companion at The Dog Park Boutique featuring homemade treat and unique pet accessories.
21. Enjoy a waterside view of Washington DC’s monuments with a cruise on the Potomac Riverboat Company.
23. Enjoy live music in an intimate setting at The Birchmire.
24. Linger over eggs Benedict and bottomless mimosas during Jackson 20‘s Sunday brunch.
25. Ride the free King Street trolley for a fun way to explore Old Town Alexandria’s attractions.
For the latest information about attractions and events in Alexandria check out http://www.visitalexandriava.com/
I was graciously hosted my Visit Alexandria but as always all opinions are my own.