Rhinos on the brink: You can help save #JustOneRhino
Thoughts of Africa tend to conjure up images of the continent’s iconic wildlife; cheetahs zipping across the plains, a pride of lions stalking a herd of wildebeest, and the unmistakable silhouette of a rhino surveying his territory at sunset. Sadly that last image may soon become more of a memory that a reality due to daily threat rhinos face from poaching. Rhinos are being killed for their horns at an alarming rate, incidences of poaching have risen by more than 300% in the last four years, from 333 in 2010 to more than 1020 animals in 2014. At this rate it is estimated that the rhino population could become extinct within 20 years.
The #JustOneRhino campaign aims to raise funds in order to relocate endangered rhinos from South Africa to the less populated Botswana where stricter regulations offer greater protection for this dwindling species. Helmed by Dereck and Beverly Joubert, wildlife photographers and naturalists known for their work with National Geographic’s Big Cats Initiative , Rhinos Without Borders has a goal to move 100 rhinos at a cost of over 8 million dollars as well as educate and provide resources for the anti-poaching “Tusk Force” in Botswana. Join Travelers Building Change, Green Travel Media and the Great Plains Foundation in their efforts to raise $45,000-the cost of relocating#JustOneRhino.
How can you help?
Donating to #JustoneRhino will gain you the opportunity to win some amazing prizes thanks to over 20 generous sponsors.With your donation you’ll receive a number of entries for a raffle with a random drawing on March 3rd, which is World Wildlife Day. Here is a quick look at what you can win:
10-day Galapagos Voyage for one. Value $5,298
South Africa Big Five Safari: Kruger & KwaZulu-Natal + Swag Bag for 2 people. Value $5000
Cobblers Cover Hotel, Barbados
Seven nights bed and breakfast in a Garden View suite. Value $5,187
Yemaya Island Hideaway & Spa, Nicaragua
10 nights’ stay & wellness package for two people at Yemaya Island Hideaway and Spa on Little Corn Island, Nicaragua. Value $5,241
• Vouchers for 2 people at Bali Jiwa Villain in Bali, Indonesia. Value $1,000
• (2) Vouchers for 2 people at The Scent Hotel in Koh Samui, Thailand. Total Value $3000 ($1,500 for each 2-person package)
• Vouchers for 2 people at 4 Rivers Floating Lodge, Koh Kong, Cambodia. Value $900
• Vouchers for 2 people at Flower Island, Palawan, Philippines Value $900
Other prizes include:
• eBag Luggage
• WeWOOD Watches
• Dinner/Brunch Cruises
• 2 nights in an Italian Villa
• 2 Tours in India
• ExOfficio Gift Certificate
• 2 nights Renaissance Asheville
• Travel Blog Success Lifetime Membership
• African Elephant Photo Pack
• HDR Timelapse Video Camera w/Lens
• Blogger Mentorship Package from Green Global Travel
I have already made my donation through Travelers Building Change and I hope you will join me. Together we can all help to save #JustoneRhino.