25 Things to do in Old Town Alexandria, Virginia
With American roots and European flair it’s no surprise that Alexandria, Virginia has become one of my favorite weekend getaways. Located minutes from Washington DC it feels worlds away with an independent streak inspiring the creative spirits behind the art galleries, boutiques and chef-driven restaurants that call Old Town home. Whether your looking to explore Alexandria’s revolutionary roots with your family or taking a romantic trip with your sweetheart you’re sure to love your time in this charming riverside city. Here are my recommendations for things to do in Alexandria.
1.Take a stroll through Old Town’s cobblestone streets admiring the 18th and 19th century architecture.
2. Explore Civil War era medicine at the Stabler-Leadbeater Apothecary Museum.
3.Rent a bike from DC Bike and Roll and explore the Mount Vernon Trail
4.Start you Saturday morning like a local by picking up some farm fresh produce at the Old Town Farmer’s Market.
5. Get a good night’s sleep in style at the Kimpton Lorien Hotel and Spa.
6.Sip a perfectly crafted cocktail created by Todd Thrasher at PX, a modern upscale speakeasy.
7.Interact with artists as they create their masterpieces at the Torpedo Factory Art Center.
8.Peruse unique home decor and gifts at St. George’s Gallery, featuring fine handcrafted Ethiopian textiles, furniture and art.
9. Stop by the utterly adorable (and Instagrammable) Spite House. At seven feet wide this is the skinniest house in the US.
10. Get a bit of history along with a taste of Alexandria on a tour from DC Metro Food Tours.
11.Indulge in a pair of designer kicks from Shoe Hive.
4.Visit what some consider to be the birthplace of the American Revolution at the Carlyle House.
13.Hear about haunted tales and folklore on a nighttime ghost tour with Alexandria Colonial Tours.
14.Unleash your inner Picasso with a class at The Art League School.
15. Enjoy a craft beer tour at Port City Brewing Company.
16. Explore Alexandria’s rich African-American heritage at the Alexandria Black History Museum.
17. Take President and Mrs. Obama’s lead and enjoy a romantic date night at Vermilion.
18. Tour and eat at the Gadsby’s Tavern, a restored 18th century tavern that has hosted George Washington and Thomas Jefferson.
19. Indulge in handmade Argentinian style gelato at Casa Rosada ( the dulce de leche is a personal faveorite).
20.Foodies will love the fabulous seven course chef’s tasting menu at the acclaimed Restaurant Eve.
21. Find the perfect gift for your four-legged canine companion at The Dog Park Boutique featuring homemade treat and unique pet accessories.
22. Enjoy a waterside view of Washington DC’s monuments with a cruise on the Potomac Riverboat Company.
23. Enjoy live music in an intimate setting at The Birchmire.
24. Lounge over a European style brunch of crepes at Fontaine Caffe.
25. Ride the free King Street trolley for a fun way to explore Old Town Alexandria’s attractions.
For the latest information about attractions and events in Alexandria check out http://www.visitalexandriava.com/
I was graciously hosted by Visit Alexandria but as always all opinions are my own.